Thursday, December 15

Sunday's Message

I usually don't cry in church, but this past Sunday I did. Pastor Piper preached on Romans 15:7-13, specifically emphasizing verse 12, "And again Isaiah says, 'The root of Jesse will come, even he who arises to rule the Gentiles; in him will the Gentiles hope.'” You can read the transcript here: http://www.desiringgod.org/library/sermons/05/121105.html ( I know there's a cool way to hide the link so I can write "Click here" and the "here" will take you there, but I'm just not that blog-savvy.), but it's not exactly complete. I guess when the Desiring God staff writes the transcripts of Piper's sermons, they must edit a little to keep them short. Either that or he says different things during different services. Anyway, the part that brought tears to my eyes is not in the transcript so I will write it out.
He talked about how Christ is what we hope in and gave 3 things that we hope for. The 3 things are the glory of God (v. 6.7.9), the new heavens and earth, and new bodies with no pain or death (Romans 8:23, “We ourselves who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for . . . the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved.”).
Piper says that we are hoping for,

"Not only a new heaven and a new earth, but a new body with which to enjoy it for the glory of God. So Paul is writing to help us abound in hope, and the hope is based on Jesus Christ—in him shall the Gentiles hope—and eagerly anticipates the fullness of the revelation of the glory of God, the new heavens and new earth, and new bodies with no more crying or pain (Revelation 21:4)."

Then he talked a little more about these 2 and said something like this (not an exact quote):
"We rejoice in this hope so much because our bodies are sick and dying. We get cancer and lose our hair and die in car crashes. But the Gospel is for all these things. Getting new bodies and living in a new earth is a huge benefit of the Gospel. The health-and-weath people preach their false gospel loud and clear, but do you know where they don't preach it? The 4th floor of Augustana (that's a nursing home about 3 blocks from church, and I'm guessing the 4th floor is where the very sick people stay). But I've got a Gospel for them! My Gospel is good in the cancer ward or the nursing home. One thing my Savior purchased for me is a future existence without suffering."
(Again, this is not exactly what he said but the general idea.)

Somehow, having my focus put there was just what I needed at the moment. This world is sick and dying, and I am aware of that every time I have a cold or some other pain. The thought of being freed from decay is so beautiful, and it brought tears to my eyes.

1 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And in the new earth, all the fighting between Christians will be forever done away with. We'll be too busy worshipping our Savior to hate each other anymore.

Thanks for that reminder. It brought renewed hope in a season of discouragement

 

Post a Comment

<< Home