Sunday, February 26

Evolution, Theology and CCM

If I was ever to be convinced of the theory of evolution (or maybe of post-millenialism), it would be because of the recent trends in Contemporart Christian Music. I really thing that it is getting better and better -- actually evolving. Now, of course I do not mean all of it. Lots of CCM, past and present, is shallow and sometimes unbiblical. But in the last several years, I have been impressed with several artists who are writing music that is God-centered, theologically rich, and saturated with Scripture. They seem to reflect a Reformed view of salvation and a faith in God's sovereignty. They focus on cherishing Christ and reaching the world with the gospel. This is definitely progress!
Some older groups and artists like Steven Curtis Chapman and the Newsboys have been maturing in their theology and they reflect that in their songs. And there are some newer artists like Chris Tomlin and Mercyme whose songs are worshipful and very deep. Then there is always Caedmon's Call who seems to have consistently over several years produced songs that are full of Scripture and that communicate some pretty profound concepts (some of their songs are just downright weird, too).
One artist whose lyrics have blown me away is Todd Agnew. You can actually find all of the Doctrines of Grace in his songs. For example:

Total depravity

"I was born with no chance of life--
Dead before I took my first breath."

"I cannot believe I'm this dirty;
I'm ashamed to even ask to be clean.
'Cause I can't think of anyone less worthy;
I've nothing to offer or to bring."

"Come ye weary, heavy laden,
Lost and ruined by the fall.
If you tarry 'till you're better,
You will never come at all."

Election

"You pulled me from the mouth of hell so You could hold me.
You knew You'd save me long before I called Your name."

"But you made me Your child,
And you called me Your own..."

Particular redemption (stated in the positive, like the Bible)

"My Jesus bled and died for my sins..."

"Jesus died for our sins,
His blood washed away these stains."

"Jesus died to give us life --
A little joy in the midst of pain.
He paid your debt in full and you are not guilty..."

Irresistable grace

"You reached down and saved me;
You parted the sea so I could breathe.
You reached down and saved me;
You pulled me from all that was drowning me."

"It's Your kindness, Lord, that leads us to repentance;
Your favor, Lord, is our desire."

"Your love reaches across the miles I raced
To separate me from You.
Your love cradles me like a child when I
Finally reach for You.
Your love's beyond my understanding."

Perseverance of the saints

"I don't know where I turned around
From chasing what I always found completed me --
More than I could dream.
I don't know why I can't remain
Safe here where I always came to meet with you
And you always met with me.
And You're still here waiting.
I fail to see why You'd still be waiting to forgive me
After all that I have done.
But I cannot say that one time I returned and You had turned away;
Your love never fails."

"I wait for Your rain to fall --
The waves of Your grace to wash over me.
I wait for Your rain to fall --
Strange how forgiveness comes so easily
When I call Your name,
And wait for Your rain."

So, if you are sick of songs like, "God believes in YOU!" or songs that are all about your feelings, take heart. God is doing a work in and through many contemporary artists, and we get to benefit from it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home