Thursday, April 6

Donner Expedition - Chapter Four

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

At about the same time all three of us realized the following "fact": Someone had messed with our campsite and was probably still there! But who could have done that? The only possibilities in my mind were my uncle (maybe to play a joke on us?) or that guy in the white Jeep who had been fishing. No one else knew we were there. Of course we immediately assumed the worst, and we certainly weren't going to take our chances! I backed up the car, got back on the path, and sped out of that campground. I think Kerry was screaming "Drive! Drive!" in my ear the whole time.

I got back to the highway to head for my grandparents' little town. All three of us were scared out of our minds. The road was covered with mist from the recent storm, and it was rather difficult to see. Suddenly Kerry observed that there was a car basically tailgating us down this foggy, winding road. I hadn't even noticed what was behind me because I was so worried about driving. I tried speeding up a little to get away from the vehicle, but he sped up too. I slowed down hoping he would pass me, but of course the conditions made that a ridiculous idea anyway. The car stayed right behind me no matter what I did.

Of course we all assumed (our imaginations were running wild at this point) that whoever was driving the car was the same person we had just "seen" at our campsite. So I said to Kerry, "Maybe it's my uncle. We're about to turn off the highway into Silver Bay, so you look and see if it is his car." Of course I was hoping the car would NOT follow us into Silver Bay but continue down the highway.

As I approached the turn, I put on my right blinker, and so did the car! I was praying, "Please, God, let it be my uncle's little station wagon!" If that were the case, I would have nearly killed him (J/K) for scaring us so badly, but at least I would know that we were safe. So, I slowed down, turned, and said, "Ok, see if it's my uncle." Kerry yelled, "No! It's a white Jeep!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home