Tuesday, March 7

Random Pet Peeve

Bad logic is annoying. Especially when it occurs in advertising. I mean, why do people buy things that are advertised with logical fallacies?

Every day I cut through Marshall Field's (like Dayton's or Macy's) to get to work. For some reason, the managers chose to put the men's department on the skyway level. That's probably because they know women will shop even if it's not convenient. They will go out of their way (to the other 4 floors of women's clothes) to shop. But men probably won't. Therefore, they put the men's stuff on the floor that gets the most traffic.

Anyway, today there was this huge advertisement for a men's cologne called "Unforgivable."

Sure, that's a risque name that implies desire, conquest, heartbreak and, well, never mind. But just under the name was this quote by the designer:

"A life without passion is unforgivable." - Sean John

Remember logical deduction, syllogisms, "if a=b and b=c then a=c," etc... ?

According to Sean John:

A life without passion = unforgivable

unforgivable = my hot, new cologne

A life without passion = my hot, new cologne

Hmmm... that doesn't sound like a winner to me. I thought the point was that a life of passion was unforgivable. I guess not.

I'm so not buying any!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home