Wednesday, March 1

New Covenant Theology

Yesterday I finished reading Tablets of Stone and the History of Redemption by John Reisinger. In some ways, this book is not very well written. Reisinger seems to have quite an attitude towards Covenant Theologians (Why can't they just admit they're wrong and see things my way?! I mean, anyone who reads the Bible would!), and he is incredibly repetitive (he frequently repeats things he just said).

But, overall, his book summarizes something I have been learning over the last year or so (about the nature and function of the Mosaic Law). And if he accurately represents New Covenant Theology, I guess that's my position too. I know I can't say that I am a Dispentationalist or a Covenant Theologian; both have major issues that I don't think are Biblical. But, though I had heard of NCT and thought it sounded pretty good, I never really looked into it deeply. Now, I think it is the most accurate of the 3 positions because it disagrees with the other 2 in just the right places.

I started thinking about the relationship of the law to Christians when I took a Greek class on Galatians at my church. I came to believe that Christ fulfulled and did away with everything in the Sinai Covenant, including the 10 Commandments (which make up the covenant document for the whole thing). Therefore, there is no third use of the law ("moral still applies while civil and ceremonial are over"). The law was a covenant made with Israel consisting of terms that resulted in blessing or cursing dependent on whether or not they were kept. I would even say that Christ's death accomplished something for the Jews that it did not for me. He died for the sins of all the elect, but His death also redeemed Israel from the curse of the law. (I'm still not sure what that is. At first I thought the curse of the law was simply being under it, having to obey it, being subject to all its rules and penalties, etc... Then, maybe it is simply death (physical). Of course people already died before the law, but disobeying the law could hasten that. Another possibility is that the curse is exile. The ultimate result of Israel's lawbreaking was their exile (going into captivity) from the promised land. This position would see Christ's descent into hell as taking the curse of exile, providing for Israel's future re-owning of the land.)

Anyway, I fouond this book by Reisinger and thought, "Whoa! Someone agrees with me!" That's always comforting when you start thinking you might be a heretic. Turns out, this view of the law is a major part of the NCT position. Though NCT has nowhere near the literature and support of the other 2 (well, Dispensationalism not so much), people have defined what it is. I found a NCT Confession which seems really good. I did not read everythng yet, and it may have a few problems (like under "Purpose of Marraige, #4 should definitely be #1), I think I agree with the position it defines.

So, this book helped confirm what I have been thinking, even though it does have some problems. I think he proves his point well about what the 10 Commandments are, what they did, and how they relate (or don't) to Christians today. The Scripture examples he gives are thorough, and of course it is all so clear! Now I need to read a book from the other side...

4 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger Christine said...

I mean that besides atoning for the sins of the elect, Jesus' death did something additional that only applies to a limited group of people. That is, His death freed Israel from the curse of the law.

I'm not sure about the whole descent into hell either, but this is one person's explaination of how Christ took the curse of the law for Israel:
1. The curse of the law is exile (Deut. 28:15-68 describes how their land will be cursed, they will receive diseases, etc.. and then climaxes at the end with v.64 "And the Lord will scatter you among all peoples, from one end of the earth to the other..."
2. The Israelites broke the law and were exiled
3. Christ was exiled for a short time when His father turned away and He descended into hell after his death (1 Peter 3:18-19 "For Christ also suffered once for sims, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison..." Eph. 4:9 "...He had also descended into the lower parts of the earth")
4. Jesus had to be cursed by the law to take Israel's curse, so He was cursed in a way that did not involve sin (Gal. 3:13 "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us -- for it is written, 'Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree' -- "
5. Christ's curse of exile redeemed Israel from her curse of exile

I'm pretty sure this position would have to be pre-mil. I mean, what good would it do to have the curse of exile removed unless Israel gets her land back someday?

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The curse of the law wasn't exile.
The curse was that if you didn't keep the whole law you would come under a curse (Gal 3:10, Deut 27:26). Thankfully Yeshua (Jesus) became a curse for us so that we are set free from this curse.

 
At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Christine, I got to your blog through google, was looking for something to do with why Moses veiled his face, I got a good answer from your blog and I decided to read other posts, my oh my! cool stuff here, I have learnt quite a lot. Thx

JMM

 
At 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out Jonathan Welton's book, "Raptureless." The title may confuse but I love the content. Also, I think the curse of the law was that righteousness which it called for was to be accomplished in the strength of human ability. They did not have the Holy Spirit. The New Covenant comes with the power to fulfill the more stringent law of Love. Love the Lord your God with your everything and love your neighbour as yourself is the command and fulfillment of the Mosaic law. The command of the New Covenant is love one another as I have loved you. That is much tougher but carries with it the power to accomplish it by having Holy Spirit within you. The high power "God love" (agape) is a fruit of the Holy Spirit indwelling. In the Old Covenant they were not to touch the leper for they would become unclean. But Jesus taught us to touch the leper and the leper would become clean. Greater is He who is in you than He that is in the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home